105 ways to Collect Email Addresses for Email Marketing
The first step in email marketing involves collecting email addresses of people who may be interested in your offer. After all, without a mailing list, you can not start a single campaign.
At first this task may seem too complicated. But do not concentrate only on e-mail. There are many other channels through which you can establish contact with consumers.
How to create a list of email addresses for mailing? After you collect enough information, what to do next? How often should I send email messages? How to ensure the delivery of e-mails bypassing the spam folder?
To answer all these questions, and also compose a large and high-quality list for mailing, the following 105 techniques and tactics will help you.
1. General advice
- Use only the addresses that you received with the permission of the users. Buying a mailing list is a bad idea, it will provide you with a high risk of complaints, refusals and unsubscribes.
- Experiment with new methods and get the most out of the most effective ones.
- Methods that work for others may not work for you.
- Once there are enough addresses in the list, segment the audience to increase efficiency.
- Do not insist, if you offer value, loyalty will not keep you waiting.
- Consider the use of automation tools.
2. Configure the opt-in form
- Simplify the subscription process by inviting users to enter only the email address.
- Describe the content of the mailing and the frequency of sending messages.
- Add testimonials from content recipients.
- Mention the number of subscribers, if significant.
- Make an exclusive offer to subscribers.
- Offer subscribers something of value for free.
3. Optimize existing addresses
- Extract addresses from transactional business communications.
- Share addresses with companies offering related products and services (with the permission of subscribers).
- Add a subscription link to all private messages.
- Add “send to a friend” link in all messages.
4. Use your site as a portal
- Promote the distribution on social networks, on the website and in the blog.
- Create a separate landing page for mailing.
- Place a form on the blog home page for capturing email addresses.
- Use the Leadboxes website from Leadpages.
- Analyze the heat map and determine the most suitable place for opt-in form.
- Test the location of the CTA button, try 404 pages, sidebars, headers, footers, pop-up messages, messages appearing when scrolling through the page, or floating messages.
- Ask blog commentators to share their addresses.
- Suggest that you fill out the opt-in form for everyone who comments on the blog.
- Exchange opt-in links with other newsletters.
- Include opt-in in forums that potential customers can visit.
- Buy ads on websites that your customers often visit.
- Offer subscribers a free download of the application.
- Offer subscribers a free e-book or a guide.
- Include a subscription request on the blog.
- Publish limited content on the site, offer full version to subscribers.
- Launch a competition in which participants will be invited to sign friends.
- Use the special tools (for example, SumoMe List Builder) to display the opt-in form for visitors about to leave your site.
- Use the special tools (for example, SumoMe Scroll Box) to show the opt-in form to visitors who scroll down the page.
- With services similar to Qualaroo, you can ask a question about subscription.
- Create the most visible confirmation page, which once again lists all the benefits of the subscription.
5. Promote subscription in social networks
- Paste the opt-in link to the video on YouTube.
- In Pinterest, get subscribers using pins that link to a subscription form.
- Add opt-in forms to your profiles in social networks.
- Send a message with an invitation to those who mention your business in social networks.
- Publish opt-in forms on the company’s LinkedIn page and in the discussion section.
- Create attractive images and offer to subscribe to the newsletter in Instagram.
- Organize the rally and ask participants to share electronic addresses.
- Organize the contest and for participation, ask users to share electronic addresses.
- Launch advertising on Facebook, dedicated to mailing.
- Create a test poll (for example, using the Woobox tool) associated with your brand, where the participants share their results in social networks and leave their email addresses to you.
- The Binkd tool will collect the addresses of the participants who tweet about your brand in exchange for participating in the contest.
6. Collect addresses from visitors
- Type opt-in information on checks.
- Collect business cards or e-mail addresses and conduct prizes.
- Place subscription information in visible places.
- Add a QR code for quick subscription via smartphone.
- Ask all calling customers if they are subscribed to the newsletter.
- Use a special bulletin board for email addresses.
- Ask customers to leave email addresses when they sign checks or papers.
- Include an offer to subscribe to baskets and shopping carts for purchases.
- Collect addresses during events.
- Offer customers a discount or free products for an email address.
- Collect email addresses of customers who came to you from sites with coupons.
7. Do not forget the paper mail
- Send postcards with the offer to subscribe.
- Add proposal to subscribe to accounts.
- Invest subscription information for each order.
8. Other features
- Write down addresses during business events.
- Add information about the subscription to business cards.
- Bring forms to subscribe to events.
- Send SMS messages to customers with an offer to subscribe.
- Place advertisements in local publishers that your audience is reading.
- Collect addresses while participating in exhibitions and festivals.
- Organize the anniversary celebration of the subscribers’ club to attract new customers.
- Pay employees for collecting quality email addresses.
- Offer a discount to customers who will share their friends’ addresses with you.
- Organize the shares for which you want to be a subscriber.
- Offer free advice in exchange for e-mail addresses.
- Collect the addresses of those who mention your business.
- Justuno can automatically offer coupon code to subscribers.
- Organize the WordPress community for business and offer a subscription.
- BuiltWith.com helps you find out what tools competitors use to create lists.
9. Strengthen your authority
- Create a competitive email marketing plan for the year.
- Use tools for personalization.
- Create creative, simple and motivating topics for letters.
- Stick to the tone that your audience likes.
- Create short and informative messages.
- Make sure that recipients do not want to miss any of your messages.
- Use a variety of messages with useful information.
- Inform customers about the latest important news.
- Tell the recipients how to extract the most from your product.
- Share your success with subscribers.
- Re-use popular articles, videos and marketing messages in email messages.
- Add only attractive, optimized and quality images.
- Use humor if possible.
- Dedicate letters to holidays or special events.
- Cover events related to your business.
- Add an attractive CTA in the form of a link or button.
- Suggest an attractive design.
- Optimize all messages for mobile devices
- Watch out for the rumors of competitors.
- Study the trends of the industry and apply them in work.
- Do not offer valuable content without a subscription.
- Attract the attention of the recipients with the help of video.
- Tell users what to expect from the next message.
10. Increase efficiency
- Regularly conduct A / B testing to determine audience preferences.
- Surveys among subscribers.
- Measure conversion rates, bounce rates, discoveries and notes, compare them with industry average values.
- Review the list regularly, removing subscribers who have not interacted with your company for a long time.
- In each message, add a link for easy unsubscription.
- Listen to customer reviews and make the necessary changes.
There are a lot of ways to collect a quality list of email addresses for mailing. The main thing to start! Use these ideas for your inspiration.